Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index Laurent, South Dakota
Discussion forum for world's first fully integrated, sign language friendly town!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have a few questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TedH71

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Have a few questions... Reply with quote

I had it all typed in on my roommate's pager and hit "send" only to have it vanish in cyberspace! Shocked So here I go again.

I'm deaf and have been my whole life. Now with that behind me, I have quite a few friends scattered all over the US due to my extensive college travels and internet connections. I have actually spoken to some local people and they do have valid concerns. I will make a copy of what they said to me and post it here:

"I will be honest with you - there are some people who are not for the new town. The current feeling is if they want a town to go to one of the local small towns that are "dying" and buy the buisnesses and homes there. It would be more cost effective and would save a small town. There are also concerns for emergency services. Right now there is only the Highway Patrol and I think Salem might have it's own city cop but probably only one or two on duty at a time. All EMS and Fire are volunteer staffed. The concern is the lack of language barrier between Laurent and Salem. I am not saying that this is right or wrong, only that it is a concern. To my knowledge, Laurent has not addressed if they will be supplying their own emergency services or not. There are many good things that Laurent is trying to do. One other concern is right now SD is in the middle of a serious drought!! One of my concerns is that it doesn't look like Laurent has addressed the environment impact of all of the new construction/landscaping. Right now there are many areas of SD that have already enacted water restrictions/bans due to low water levels. Sorry to ramble on so, but wanted you to know some of the concerns that have been raised about Laurent.

Another concern you might have is - depending on where you are from - we tend to have two seasons in SD - winter and road construction. When you are factoring in a comute, bear in mind that from the first of October to the first of May is likely to have snow. Now the snow may melt when it hits the ground, but it still makes driving difficult."

Also another one from the same forum that I posted info on:

"I will have to agree with what is being said- we have low paying jobs here
and lots of unemployment where I am located. If you arent from here all
you have to know is that Gateway Computers "used to be" based out of
our county. It has taken its high paying jobs to California and even the
low ones are now over sea's. There is very little of that company left
here and has made a huge huge economic impact on the community.
Sorry to rant..........have had too many family and friends move because
there is not work here to support a family."

and the last one is:

"Also, does this new town plan to try and attract some industry? If they don't, they will be doomed to go the way of the other small towns across the midwest. You have to have at least one, and more is better types of industry to support a town. I wonder what they are working to attract and if you could begin training to work in that field."

Well, let me put it this way...I grew up in Dallas, Austin, and Tyler and happen to prefer the rural way of life due to low cost of living and the fact that you can do things in the rural community that you can't do in the cities such as hunting/fishing or horse riding or whatnot. I presently draw SSDI due to the high cost of living here in Austin and also have a full time job. I would love to quit drawing SSDI but can't for obvious reasons. I have had experience in construction amongst other jobs that I've had and would love to work with a rancher or farmer since I have Texas Lacy dogs that could be converted from hog hunting (which they do presently) to cow work which is what they're bred for..and wouldn't mind working in construction amongst other occupations that I've done in the past.

I would be very concerned about several things: jobs, emergency services, political system (you would have to establish a Chamber of Commerce, City Hall, and other things that come with having a town). Keep in mind, the drought has been going on for a very long time..we do have water problems in Colorado, Wyoming, N. Dakota, and surprisingly in Texas as well (not East Texas..just most of the parts of Texas). What are you going to do to deal with the water problem? I've been told that water wells in your area of SD has gone dry for the first time ever..now I would consider that rather serious...would that mean price of water would go up? I see a water foundation in your drawings..that looks good but the water would have to be recycled. Also concrete requires tons of water to make it hard. I would love to hear your perspective on how you would resolve situations like this since I used to work in construction and uh used to build enviromentally friendly housing using fly ash in concrete (ash mixed with concrete and dries faster and is cheaper than regular concrete because it is recycled), and had metal roofs due to the fact they take 50 years to be replaced and are energy savers (keeps hot air off the roof and having less cooling bills (this is true in Texas but SD???) and several other things. I admit I have no idea how to do wiring and plumbing due to Austin city codes requiring that licensed people do the stuff...and only licensed people can supervise unlicensed people in Austin. Austin has one of the strictest city building codes due to being on several enviromentally sensetive areas such as the Edwards Aquifer which gives water to several million people and can be very easily contimated. I have been told that if a drought exists in an area and you accidently contimate an area..it is drawn thru the soil faster than if there wasn't a drought.

Now I totally love the concept of the signing town and like the drawn plans and would love to learn new methods of construction since there aren't that many basements built in Austin amongst other things. I look forward to excellent discussions about Laurent!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kdm

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Ted but I don't know what are your questions.

Keep contributing your thoughts in here.
TedH71

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very concerned about several things: jobs, emergency services, political system

What are you going to do to deal with the water problem?

Those questions are my questions that I would like to know some answers to...I suspect the above questions are going to be hard to answer but the water problem is the one I would be most interested in being answered. Thanks.

Ted
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marvmiller

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedH71 wrote:
I would be very concerned about several things: jobs, emergency services, political system

What are you going to do to deal with the water problem?

Those questions are my questions that I would like to know some answers to...I suspect the above questions are going to be hard to answer but the water problem is the one I would be most interested in being answered. Thanks.

Ted

Ted, we agree that there's a water problem here, and we're working with TM Rural Water District. They have assured us that they draw on from a large water supply that is enough to last a long time. We also will implement water conservation program in Laurent, and by designing Laurent in a very compact, high-density fashion, we are minimizing many of the environmental impacts a typical development has. Less storm water run off and more retention and filtering, modern plumbing, geothermal heating and cooling, and more.

As for emergency services, The Laurent Company will fund for any necessary protection in areas of police, fire and emergency services. The county or neighboring cities will not face undue burden for this.

As for taking over an existing town, it is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, and because most, if not all, of these towns are not located ON or adjacent to a major interstate, it is very difficult to have an economic engine to drive the development of the town. We must start somewhere, and we are starting with traveler services then tourism then light manufacturing as town grows. This will provide new jobs for everyone in the county. Not to mention the political ugliness of new people coming in and taking over the dying town and running it.

Hope this helps.
Marvin Miller
neilmcd

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted;

I had the same thought as you: (taking over an existing town). When I visited Salem, my East Coast-er first reaction was, "jeez, this place is dead!" When I got to look "deeper", I found that Salem is really a wonderful and vibrant place. In other words, one man's "dying community" is another person's "vibrant home".

I'm a firefighter (deaf as well) and have been volunteering with TLC on the issue of emergency services. At this time, Laurent will have its own police and volunteer fire departments. While my focus is on the emergency medical and fire services and details are still being worked out, I will say this:

* Everyone who is interested and qualified (regardless of ability) can become a member of volunteer emergency services in Laurent
    * Deaf people such as myself and others around the country have demonstrated that we are quite capable of handling Fire/Rescue issues
    * Laurent's Fire Department will work VERY closely with our mutual aid stations (Salem, Montrose, Spencer and Canistota) when it comes to training and developing response protocols
    * Advanced EMS (Paramedic/ALS) services are going to be provided by McCook County. Laurent will run its own "First Responders" group that will provide immediate medical care and remain with the patient as an liaison during transport and during initial treament in the hospital until a qualified, certified interpreter is obtained.

One of the major life-safety initatives in Laurent will be this: EVERY building in the town will have sprinklers. Houses, businesses, factories, etc. will be 100% sprinklered. In fact, this will make Laurent one of the first totally sprinklered towns in South Dakota (possibly in the entire U.S.).

Since many critical medical emergencies require medevac chopper transport, Laurent will ensure clearable space is devoted for these vital helicopters.

As is standard in the rest of the US, Laurent will help its neighbors. Our emergency services will follow the tried-and-true mutual aid model where we will share our resources to help other towns in need. In turn, when we need their assistance, we know we can count on it.

Thanks for a great posting!
jknox

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Thanks Marvin for some great responses--these posts are a great gauge and source for me as we try to answer every conceivable question- Great Job! John the Planner guy-
deafgun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neilmcd wrote:
Ted;

I'm a firefighter (deaf as well) and have been volunteering with TLC on the issue of emergency services. At this time, Laurent will have its own police and volunteer fire departments. While my focus is on the emergency medical and fire services and details are still being worked out, I will say this:

* Everyone who is interested and qualified (regardless of ability) can become a member of volunteer emergency services in Laurent
    * Deaf people such as myself and others around the country have demonstrated that we are quite capable of handling Fire/Rescue issues
    * Laurent's Fire Department will work VERY closely with our mutual aid stations (Salem, Montrose, Spencer and Canistota) when it comes to training and developing response protocols

I would be interested in learning more Rescue/Fire techniques. I have never gone to an Academy to learn formal things, however, I do know cliff rescues, CPR, and Advanced 1st Aid. Plus I have seen 'Cops' on TV and learned what NOT to do. Is there a forum for us to learn these vital concepts around the county? I have asked the question in other posts, but have yet to receive an answer (perhaps cuz it was asked too early in the process). Will Laurent be responding to any and all incidents in which a signing person is in need of Aid? Suppose a vehicle crash either on I-90, or near one of the neighboring towns. I m sure the nearest Fire/Rescue units would answer first, and then discover someone who signs. Will they be calling us regardless of where the incident happens within the county?

* Advanced EMS (Paramedic/ALS) services are going to be provided by McCook County. Laurent will run its own "First Responders" group that will provide immediate medical care and remain with the patient as an liaison during transport and during initial treatment in the hospital until a qualified, certified interpreter is obtained.

I mentioned in one of my previous posts (thread of crime) about my goal of the hearing firefighters, EMS, and police in the county to start learning signs now, not later. A liaison is a great bridge only if the deaf responder is a great lipreader as well with a good clear voice. This goal will teach the hearing colleagues to keep their faces towards us so we can lipread them better. From what I have seen on TV in programs like 'ER' I m going to generalize it in the real world. When a Dr gives orders, they do not specify who does the orders, but the ppl listen for their parts of the orders and then acts on it.

One of the major life-safety initatives in Laurent will be this: EVERY building in the town will have sprinklers. Houses, businesses, factories, etc. will be 100% sprinklered. In fact, this will make Laurent one of the first totally sprinklered towns in South Dakota (possibly in the entire U.S.).

I can understand the need of sprinklers in the ceiling of businesses. I m a little hesitant about having them in homes as most home insurance do not cover 'flooding' in their legalese language. Would water damage be covered in the insurance? I hope so. I hope we never need to have them actually working in a house, but of course it'll be very handy if a fire actually starts. How about requiring 1 exsentrisher (sp?) for every two rooms instead of a sprinkler system? For example, one for the garage, one for the kitchen/dining room, one for the bedrooms and closets on one floor, one near the fireplace/furnace....etc. Just an idea.

Since many critical medical emergencies require medevac chopper transport, Laurent will ensure clearable space is devoted for these vital helicopters.

This sounds like an open space of a park. Just an idea: Perhaps we shd pick a specific spot close to an outlying street, paint a blue 'H' in the middle of a white circle on a concrete pad, and of course no trees, bushes, ppl having picnics within 20' of that. Perhaps a low border around the white circle would be helpful. This way we can take the patient(s) from anywhere in the city and bring them to the dedicated spot. I agree this will be essential service.

As is standard in the rest of the US, Laurent will help its neighbors. Our emergency services will follow the tried-and-true mutual aid model where we will share our resources to help other towns in need. In turn, when we need their assistance, we know we can count on it.

Thanks for a great posting!

HI, I could not separate neilmcd statements so I could ask my questions and comments in btwn his comments, so I put mine in Italics within his quotes. I know neilmcd has the experience so pls dont take my comments or ideas as crititism, I m curious to know more specifics. Thanks!
neilmcd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deafgun:

Quote:
I would be interested in learning more Rescue/Fire techniques. I have never gone to an Academy to learn formal things, however, I do know cliff rescues, CPR, and Advanced 1st Aid. Plus I have seen 'Cops' on TV and learned what NOT to do. Is there a forum for us to learn these vital concepts around the county? I have asked the question in other posts, but have yet to receive an answer (perhaps cuz it was asked too early in the process). Will Laurent be responding to any and all incidents in which a signing person is in need of Aid? Suppose a vehicle crash either on I-90, or near one of the neighboring towns. I m sure the nearest Fire/Rescue units would answer first, and then discover someone who signs. Will they be calling us regardless of where the incident happens within the county?

You can check out www.deaffirefighters.us for a discussion on deaf fire/rescue personnel.

As far as Laurent's emergency services, we'll go where our neighbors need us. In other words, using your example, an accident on I-90 and the SD State Police requests our assistance, we will provide whatever we can without jeopardizing the safety of people in Laurent itself. We would not really be in a position to "demand" such, but can provide aid when asked.

Quote:
I can understand the need of sprinklers in the ceiling of businesses. I m a little hesitant about having them in homes as most home insurance do not cover 'flooding' in their legalese language. Would water damage be covered in the insurance? I hope so. I hope we never need to have them actually working in a house, but of course it'll be very handy if a fire actually starts. How about requiring 1 exsentrisher (sp?) for every two rooms instead of a sprinkler system? For example, one for the garage, one for the kitchen/dining room, one for the bedrooms and closets on one floor, one near the fireplace/furnace....etc. Just an idea.

I disagree. Let me first clear up some misconceptions. Those scenes in movies where a little smoke causes all the sprinklers to start is purely dramatic license. Generally speaking, sprinklers will only activate when the temperature below the sprinkler reaches (I believe) 250 degrees and melts a small plastic capsule that holds the valve shut. Only the sprinkler that has temperatures high enough to break the valve will activate.

As soon as water starts moving through the system, the fire department is notified and dispatched. It also activates the alarm system informing residents that it's time to get out.

This sequence prevents extensive damage and also prevents the fire from spreading past its point of origin 95% of the time. When you consider how dense Laurent will be, this is VERY important. I would rather have one house with water damage than have 3 or 4 houses burned down.

The most compelling evidence of the value of sprinklers comes from the horrible disaster in 2003 where 100 people were killed by a fast moving fire at the Station Nightclub in Warwick, RI.

The National Institutes of Standards and Technology ran a series of tests to figure out what happened and show what would have happened if the place had sprinklers.

The first picture picture shows the temperatures in the facility after 90 seconds at 5 feet off the ground. (red = 1,000 degrees, green = 500 degrees, blue = 100)

By comparison, If the nightclub had sprinklers under the same conditions:

This picture shows the same temperatures

Remember, this is 90 seconds after the fire started AND fire doubles in size every minute. My assumption is that in Laurent, the volunteer fire department will have a 5-7 minute response time if volunteers are responding from their homes. Do the math and you're looking at huge fires even before the FD arrives. This is true anywhere in the United States.

I would rather have my firefighters help people move their stuff out of a wet home than put their lives at risk trying to fight a raging fire.

I think it's pretty compelling evidence. I would rather have wet people than dead people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: