Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index Laurent, South Dakota
Discussion forum for world's first fully integrated, sign language friendly town!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lot sizes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gr8Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Lot sizes? Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing any information regarding to lot sizes for homes. What lot/property sizes (average) are they?

Thank you
DebK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Lot Size Reply with quote

In the next 3-4 months, this information should be made available to you. We have focused several meetings with local contractors and builders in the county, and The Laurent Company also expects to begin hiring construction teams soon. We expect to offer a wide variety of home options on various size lots. It is our goal to provide flexibility in building homes, to better fit your needs. We envision a wide array of choices of homes: single family homes on large lots, single family homes on small lots, rowhouses, loft apartments, main street apartments, live/work buildings (you live on a 2nd or 3rd floor and work or run a business on the ground floor). You may also be able to buy a lot and build a home to your own specifications as long as its in compliance with architectural and zoning codes of the town.

Lot sizes haven't yet been determined, but they will be compact, deep lots. An average lot may be 20 - 45 foot wide and 100 - 120 feet deep for single family homes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SirBaldy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but don't the lot sizes seem to be a tad on the small side? Will the 2nd and up phases tend to have bigger lot sizes?

The condo that my wife and I live in currently, we're already feeling cramped in our master bedroom and master bath and just want some SPACE to move around in without scratching or bruising our legs mostly! Also, as we're currently trying to have a baby or two, in addition to her teenaged sons and the elder son's girlfriend (now an orphan for the 2nd time, which is why she's with us), the way I figure it, our home in Laurent (if we move there) would likely have to accommodate all of us, plus a guest apartment (consisting of a living area, kitchen, a full bath and a half bath and 1 or 2 bedrooms) for visitors such as our mothers or relatives/friends. Would there be a lot size that'd accommodate that kind of home? If not, would buying two adjacent lots be permissible?
DavidRowland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Lot sizes Reply with quote

Some of the lots may seem small, but if you properly design the building, that won't matter a whole lot. The average bedroom is anywhere from 10' x 10', up to about 15' x 15'. Sometimes bigger. So a 20' wide lot could have rooms up to about 15' wide, or the front room would be about 18' wide, going back deeper into the lot. That would leave about 2' on each side of house for the property lines, etc...to go through.
There are many ways to design it, and I am sure that the architects have already thought of many ways to do so. I would be very interested to see some of the preliminary designs myself. Especially for the electrical systems, as I am an electrician.

Then I have a perfect home based business for you. Very easy to start, very easy to use. Please take a look.
http://ilovejerky.com/4734
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DeafWriter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Lot size on sides Reply with quote

[b]Maybe it's just me, but I don't like houses that are so close together. I prefer to have some space on the side. A little privacy. The depth of the lot sounds fine, but only having two / four feet on each side sounds way cramped.

Michele
Confused
deafgun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look under the Homepage, on the left side, u ll see the link to "Resources". Look there and u ll find 4 or 5 links to various house plans, among other resources. Some plans include apts., live/work buildings, one-story or two-story houses, some with basements, some without. Most of them do not look to be Solar themed, but there are a few. Idea Some designs are Victorian, some are Prairie, some are Cottages, others Traditional Themed Neighborhood type houses. Many of the plans will provide Overall Dimensions. U can look thru them, decide what kinds of plans u like, and then compare them to the lot sizes available. Razz

According to DebK, site administrator, "Lot sizes haven't yet been determined, but they will be compact, deep lots. An average lot may be 20 - 45 foot wide and 100 - 120 feet deep for single family homes." So it seems some people have a misunderstanding that the 20 footer is the biggest. Its not! Its the minimum being offered at this time. I m curious as the sizes of the live/work lots?

We'll have to wait until more details come out, probably after the McCook County board decides on the Zoning changes. I know that Marvin, and M.E., had planned for this to be done in May, but as Big Eagle stated, (in part) "...and the wheels move pretty slow when dealing with County Gov. They are very conservative when dealing with something as overwhelming as this project will seem to them..." In addition, Marvin has stated in his blogs, "Bottom line: We're committed to making this happen the right way. Easy? No. Fast? Heck, no! Frustrating, yeah. But that's part of the process."
Surprised

I dont know who provided these plans, but its a start to look. I m sure ur local Real Estate person can help u find other plans, or contacts.
deafgun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="deafgun"]We'll have to wait until more details come out, probably after the McCook County board decides on the Zoning changes. I know that Marvin, and M.E., had planned for this to be done in May, but as Big Eagle stated, (in part) "...and the wheels move pretty slow when dealing with County Gov. They are very conservative when dealing with something as overwhelming as this project will seem to them..." In addition, Marvin has stated in his blogs, "Bottom line: We're committed to making this happen the right way. Easy? No. Fast? Heck, no! Frustrating, yeah. But that's part of the process."
Surprised
quote]

I was looking thru the blogs on the homepage, and came across some exciting news:

Published: 07/6/05

The McCook County Planning Commission recommended Tuesday a zoning ordinance that would permit development of the town of Laurent.

The recommendation will go to the County Commission, which will have the first reading July 19. If commissioners approve that version, the second reading would be Aug. 2.

Another article from nearby town of Mitchtell, The Daily Republic, stated:

The ordinance pertaining to the sign-language town was recommended 4-1 for approval by the commissioners, who were acting at the time in their capacity as the Planning Commission. The ordinance, which would create a new zoning category to allow construction of the town, will receive the first of its two required readings before the County Commission on July 19.

Congrats Marvin and ME for a successfull move!! Its been a long hard trip for them in the Laurent Company to keep each step moving!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: