Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index Laurent, South Dakota
Discussion forum for world's first fully integrated, sign language friendly town!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my Wish List!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: my Wish List! Reply with quote

Here is my wish list:

Trolley:
It is imperative that we introduce the newly founded town to the concept that it is perfectly alright to ride in buses,rail and trolley and leave their car at home. For some strange reasons, Minnesota have long resisted from providing mass transportation and rather that they focus on highway maintance fund. The stigma of not being a car owner (including me) have cause transit riders face the enormous peer pressure. I wouldn't mind owning a car as long as it get me to horseback riding but no other reason. So.. let's hope we can avoided that " car culture" in our new town

Art and CULTURAL center:
I think it's wonderful to see we would eventually have an art center but let's not forget to add the word " cultural" and righty so. It is because, sadly, we have seen so many deaf children who must choose their culture and Deaf culture and having nearly all of them adaboning their native culture in order to " fit in" with Deaf culture. I don't think we should deprive them from one or the other. I think this is what is causing the mainstay ongoing problem with our Deaf communiy, the issue of racism. That included women culture, GLBT culture and disabled culture.

Architechical street design:
I fell in love with a certain, and funny as it may seem, vitrually not well knowned area in Minneapolis in a place call Milkauwee Avenue. WHen I first stroll in this area some years ago, the first thing that came to my mind, " What a perfect setting for Deaf ( and signers) communiy!!!" You see, the only thing there is to see between houses sitting in a row is just A SIDWALK. That's it! Those row of houses sit across from each other only about 40 feets wide and are paved with sidewalk and some trees. It is a a beautiful sight to behold. Exvept we certainly could figure out about trees, getting it out of way so that we can sign to each other from our porch.

Stegway:
This wonderful piece of machine is just perfect for people with heart condition. I do understand there would not be a lot of cars coming in going in the main intersection of Laurent town but I think we can get Stegway for folks who may not be able to walk more than a few blocks at a time. This will provide them some dignity, those who rather not use wheelchairs. We could ask human service department to have it available at main downtown area.

NO UNION BUSTING corporations!
I am hoping, if and when people do bring in some corporations, I'd like to see that they will not be an union busting type like those of Walmart. It is just really sickening to see those type shrinkaway from accepting responsibilities to provide them health care insurance and all, and causing so much burden to our society.

Battered women's safe house:
As much as we would like to see our town crime free and batter free, it will happen. 80% homocide crime is cause by partner killing their partner. This is a shocking facts that most people are not aware of, along with the cause of drinking a bit too much

Skyway:
Many of us Northern folks chose to remain North primarily because the beauty and the purity of white snow.But then we do pay the price of dealing with bustling cold north wind. One idea that can be introduce is skyway system. We have skyway systems here in Minneapolis and St.Paul, the skyway is a connection between building ACROSS the street That way, we can go out to anyplace without having to go outside at all. Ideal for those who love winter but the disabitilies and old age are less adpatable, I think, would be thrill to have skyway system

Bia-Free media sources:
Far too many subjective approach on media writing and tv. I hope we can publish and show with wholistic apporach and people person type.

Alternative souce:
With rising cost of heating oil and gas, I think it is a high time that we can work on using alternative engery source ( much to Bush's dismay for his vast interest in oil investment in Midwest). I think it would be nice to see our town be self substainable, renewal engery and alernative freinldy town.

Trees:
Not only it clean our air, it boost the psycholical wellbeing, I hope to see that we will welcome many tree as much as we welcome anyone who are signers!

One final note:
If you see so many mispelled words here, my brain is operating at best only 65 percent at midnight after studying for six hours straight as my miidterm exam fast apporaching.... and oh yes.... this won't be the last you will see my wish list.
Laughing

Ellie Kidder
deafgun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: my Wish List! Reply with quote

Ellie wrote:
Here is my wish list:

Stegway:
This wonderful piece of machine is just perfect for people with heart condition. I do understand there would not be a lot of cars coming in going in the main intersection of Laurent town but I think we can get Stegway for folks who may not be able to walk more than a few blocks at a time. This will provide them some dignity, those who rather not use wheelchairs. We could ask human service department to have it available at main downtown area.

Ellie Kidder

I found a link to another wondering piece of machine that saves a lot of money and enviroment. Its a bike. heres the link: http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?product%5Fid=65-0037%20MSTR Hopefully Laurent will build a bike parking lot so we can use these types of machinery to get a jumpstart on our future.
MicahBrwn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: my Wish List! Reply with quote

deafgun wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Here is my wish list:

Stegway:

Ellie Kidder

I found a link to another wondering piece of machine that saves a lot of money and enviroment. Its a bike. heres the link: http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?product%5Fid=65-0037%20MSTR Hopefully Laurent will build a bike parking lot so we can use these types of machinery to get a jumpstart on our future.

Uh, when I clicked on the link, I got a "Bad Item" error message -- that is, the item (whatever it is) doesn't exist in the catalog.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-Ghandi
deafgun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: eGO cycle Reply with quote

oh really?? It worked for me. U can find in the Gaiam.com online catalog. In the item search type 'eGO' and it ll take u to the bike. It's a lot like an electric scooter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: