Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index Laurent, South Dakota
Discussion forum for world's first fully integrated, sign language friendly town!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State of South Dakota already know about Laurent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deafotto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: State of South Dakota already know about Laurent? Reply with quote

the State of South Dakota, they already know about the Laurent to building on procressive. No wonder they still hold too long for approving from the Mc Cook County Zoning Board?

I hope so they (Mc Cook) need sending to the state of south dakota to approve before the groundbreak.

Marvin, Do you know what goes on this zoning board so far? Let me know when they are approve it.

Thanks
David Ottosen
Morrison, Illinois

See you longest soon! David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
deafgun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Marvin has yet to answer this question, I thot I ll take a guess what is happening. I noticed that the founders have been slow (or never) to answer many questions. Perhaps because they want things to happen first, instead of allowing false hopes. They keep saying they re working behind the scene, but we dont know what they re doing. It'll be nice to know what they re doing. What their hopes for this plan, or that plan, or any other idea they re hoping to have happen. Of course, if any part of any plans dont happen, or get changed, and ppl r not aware, it can get confusing. Perhaps they dont want any confusion to happen, so they say nothing. Perhaps this is why we ve not heard much solid information since Oct.

The State has nothing to do with Approval or Dissapproval of our town. The only time they might get involved is if the county had to vote to approve of the recent changes that McCook County did, or keep it the way it was. The time has passed, and no one has forced this issue to a vote, so the state can stay out of our plans. The changes became law.

Heres what I do know, and some guesses. The needed groundwork in the laws of McCook county has been laid last Aug, and the time period for ppl who oppose the changes has passed. They can no longer protest. An application to Rezone from Agricalture to Mixed-Development was needed from Laurent Company to be submitted to the County Board. In late Oct., M.E. mentioned (in the blog) that something was holding up the plans. What that something was, I dont know. The founders were looking at other options. In the Nov. blog, Marvin mentioned that two critical pieces of the plan needed to happen, but I dont know what they were, or if those pieces have fallen in place by now. I dont recall since Oct. if this application has actually been submitted to the County yet. Then last week, Marvin announced the sad news of the withdrawal of an Investor, or delay in establishing a closing date for a loan from this investor. Why? We have not been informed. I'm guessing one of the missing critical pieces was the funding. It seems without this funding, the application for the Rezoning Request can not proceed. This might be the other missing piece of the plan. No doubt this is not going to stop the founders. Sometimes in Life, when one path gets closed, we have to take another one, or make a path. Who knows? Maybe this new path will be a better way than the one that just got blocked off .

If this process is the same as I see in many Cities/Counties in Colorado, then part of any application process of any development plans, such as housing development or a mall requires that all funding(s) be in place before the Approval of the City or County Board can happen. The Developer must cover any and all expected costs of their plans. This is to prevent partial building of a development plan, hoping that more money will come later. Suppose they started building 20 houses and the money ran out before they could put the roofs on. Would u like to see all those half-built houses sitting out there? If it happens no more money comes, then the City/County has to do something about those houses, and u can bet it wont be pleasant. In our case, we shd have our monies in place before we start building our town. We certianly dont want to be embarrassed if for some reason we cant finish our town.

So it is wise on the part of Laurent Company, but very frustrating for everybody, to wait until the funding sources allow us to have the monies so we can actually proceed with the plans the founders have been working on for the past what 3, 4 years? Now it looks like another year to acquire the needed funding to begin building our town, in the meantime, the founders look to other investors to make up for the delay of the loan. It seems promising that other ppl can help make this happen. One path got blocked, and now the founders r looking for other routes to continue the journey. Lets help out. Maybe some of us can find other investors to help speed up our way to the town.

Marvin or M.E., am I even close to guessing whats been happening so far? What I ve mentioned were my understanding of the different parts and clues of the blogs and newsletters. Perhaps a concise explanation what has happened or not happened and why since Oct. would help us understand where the development stands now, and what needs to happen (from ur viewpoints) to allow the plan to actually go. This could give us a clearer picture.
marvmiller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deafgun,

You got it right.

Basically, you could call me oversensitive and overprotective of my deaf and signing community.

It was not a long time ago that well publicized Wyndholme Village failed due to reports of embezzlement and with that, many deaf seniors lost some or even all of their deposits.

We chose to be quiet until we could finalize the financing for this project -- the charrette last year generated so much publicity that was actually unasked for. We didn't want any, but the reporters from Minneapolis Star Tribune, The New York Times and People Magazine came anyway.

Now that our original funding source -- which would have allowed us to build Laurent and do it VERY well -- has been delayed significantly which has forced us to consider alternative approaches to financing this project.

The size of the original funding source enabled us not to ask for anything from the county or the state of South Dakota other than a new legislation to allow for planned development districts in McCook County.

We continue to face challenges, yet we have received favorable response from the local investors and we are continuing our work with them. Hopefully we will be able to announce something in the next few months, if not weeks.

We've decided to push forward from all angles: for profit The Laurent Company, non profit The Laurent Institute and working with the county and state officials.

Please ask more questions! I will be happy to answer them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Laurent, South Dakota Forum Index -> Building Laurent, South Dakota All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: